Thursday, April 29, 2010

Honeytops! I'm Hooome!



















Hey everyone!


After an unexpected and unwelcome break from blogging....I'm finally back! I've missed blogging so much....and all of you, even more! It's been a weird few months with a lot of different things going on and unfortunately, blogging had to take a back-seat for a while but now, I'm back (and better than ever, I think!)

That being said, some of the stuff I'm posting is pretty old, but hopefully, you'll enjoy it all the same :)

First up is an apple pie! I have never tried to make an apple pie before...I know, blasphemy, right? For those of you who know me and my pie-baking ways, I'm crust-girl. I make my crust from scratch - it's my thing...I'm crusty. However, fillings scare the pie-eating daylights out of me! We've all had those pies (usually fruit, and even more specifically, apple) that are watery on the inside, which makes the crust soggy and then the whole pie is just ruined. Blech. So that's my fear concerning apple pie: that the apples will let all their water out...which the pie crust will absorb and then the reputation of my perfectly flaky pie crust will be forever marred.


I thought that I might be able to fix this problem by sauteeing the apples first with the sugar, butter and spices (like the apples for my apple crisp) and then putting them into the crust and baking the whole lot....there was a distinct flaw in that...overcooked apples...so it ended up a little bit more like an apple-sauce pie. It tasted heavenly with the cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar and there wasn't a high water content, but the texture of the apples was definitely lost. Must figure out this conundrum....any ideas?



















This next, less-than-perfect concoction was made for one of my very best friends, Christy. It's a chocolate cake with my nani's famous dark chocolate fudge poured over the top! I know it looks like it's been through a lot (like maybe a bumpy ride in a Honda Civic...) But I assure you, it tasted very good!

For the writing, I got to use a new gadget, the icing pen, which was super exciting! Very handy if you need to do a lot of writing like on this cake -- thanks to my mother's coworker, Sharon, for this thoughtful gift :)

That's all for this post! But don't think that's all for today, I've got a couple more things to show you all! Till very soon!

No comments: