Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cupcakes and Cakes and Awards! Oh My!



















Hi all!

Boy does it feel weird to have been away from the blog for so long! It's been less than a month but it feels like eternity! That's a compliment to my talented and supportive fellow foodies -- definitely missed you all!

So while I've been away and getting into the spirit of being back to school, which is proving to be much more stressful than I'd anticipated, I baked! (Surprise, surprise!)

First up, the cake I baked for Lail t'ul Qadr at khane. It's triple-layered and pina colada inspired. I decided to try and convey the whole pina colada idea through a pineapple cake with vanilla buttercream and coconut layered in between. Next time, I think I will try to switch it up with a pineapple filling and coconut cake. I suspect that since pineapple is not quite a stand-up kind of a flavour, that it might have gotten lost in the cake, though I didn't get a taste!
Next up, inspired by my dear uncle and therefore, aptly named "Alnoor's Spicy Apples". The name is quite fitting since my Alnoor Masa has quite the spicy personality, himself!

I had a talk with Alnoor Masa the other day and he ran the idea by me to create an apple-crisp inspired cupcake just for him: so here it is! The Spicy Apple consists of a plain cupcake with a spicy apple filling in the centre, topped with my famous apple crisp topping! Since the cupcake is so decadent, I decided to cut the sweetness with a spiced cream cheese (idea courtesy of mum) for that little bit of contrast. They are garnished with an extra bit of the spicy apple topping.

Finally, I would like to thank fellow blogger Shabs (shabscuisine.blogspot.com) for my first set of awards! (look, mom!) I'm so honoured!

Since the stress is mounting as the semester progresses, I'm sure I will be blogging soon so, till soon!















3 comments:

Mehnaz said...

I don't get your artistic vision but I support it with all my taste buds :)

Zoyah said...

Thanks, Mehny!

I don't get your artistic vision either, but it sure does make for great pictures :)

Shabs.. said...

Ohlala!!I looooooooved that first pic...I mean that cake...wouldnt mind stealing it either if u dont give them to me...Girl, u r really artistic and i really think im jealous now..:)I dont get to bake....U know what, i have started pestering my hubby to learn cake decor.....and he is like,We dont eat even the simple cakes without icing, who wud eat the one with icing then.......My husband doesnt have sweet tooth, so i end up eating all the baked goodies, how sad na?..
But, u really good....Keep it up..
By the way, thx alot for ur compliments....I just cook and blog, nothing great in that i guess, apart from sharing few good recipes......Sorry for the loooong comment...