Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chicka-Cherry-Cheesecake

Hey y'all!

So it was a certain lady's birthday, oh, two months ago...and she never got her birthday cheesecake (yes, that is the kind of horrible, little sister I am). Finally, I coupled her birthday treat with the visit of my wonderful and infinitely kind Mumti Masi and bam: a decadent delight for two equally delightful ladies!



















The concoction you see is actually my aunt's recipe! A dense, sumptuous, New York-style cheesecake, topped with a tangy cherry filling.

Okay. So this is embarrassing: I used canned filling. Go ahead, judge me, I can take it. For those of you who have read my post on the cherry pie I make, you'll know: I'm not a filling-making kind of a gal. I've never been that girl, maybe I will be, one day in the distant future. I will make cans of filling between dropping the kids off to soccer practice and pulling my hair out or something. But for now, I modify fillings! I always find that the cherry filling from the can is lacking citrus: the juice of half a lemon remedies that, perfectly.

Sorry, folks! No recipe for this one: family secret! But I hope you enjoyed reading this, all the same.

Just throwing a question out there to all you, foodies: how do you prevent your cheesecake from cracking? Below, you can see that the filling has seeped into the cheesecake (not that I'm complaining!) but that's because my cheesecake always cracks...ideas?





















Thanks for perusing this post!

Till soon!

2 comments:

Shabs.. said...

Hey sweets!how ya doin!hows ur studies and how did the exams go?...forgot, what r u studying for!!?..OK, hit me now;)
BTW, that cherry cheese cake looks luscious, and so yummy!I too hate the cherry filling from stores, dono what they lack, but they do lack something...lol.....I never had newyork style cheesecake....there is one cheesecake on my bloggie thats a non-bakeone....have a peek, thats really reaally good...
Ur's a family secret eh?I think u shud start posting recipes so that u can get more hits on ur blog page..:)love the way u write:)

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen said...

Hey there!

Just stumbled upon! you got some great things baking here :)

Its your space and you can do whatever you want but it isn't fair to share an awesome picture like that and not share the recipe ;)

I'm crazy cheesecake fan. Here what you can do for avoiding the cracks. Do you use a water bath ? A water bath is using a larger pan containing water in which to place the smaller cheesecake baking pan (but don't forget to line your spring form with aluminium foil). And if you already do that sometimes cheesecake cracks if you slightly over bake them. They can come out of the oven when they are ever so lightly giggly at the center. They will settle as it cools! Hope that helps :)